Being a parent is a tough job. Everything you do or say is indirectly reflected in your child’s behavior and conduct. We all want our kids to be smart and confident. However, sometimes things do not turn out as planned.
Moreover, most parents often doubt their parenting and end up comparing their children with others’. This often results in over structuring your kids’ time, which only leads to his/her mental disturbance.
If you want to know how to mold a child’s character, it is important first to understand the role of parents in the same. Parents are a child’s first teachers. No matter what they learn or hear from others, what they learn from their parents remain with them for a lifetime.
Role of parents in molding a child’s personality:
Parenting and child development are two sides of the same coin. Positive parenting helps in the development of the 5 important aspects of a child’s personality given as under:
- · Cognitive Development
- · Physical Development
- · Mental Development
- · Socio-Cultural Development
- · Spiritual Development
It involves the development of the thought process, problem-solving, and decision making powers of a child.
With the right guidance from their parents, they learn about the importance of a healthy lifestyle and diet. As a result, they tend to adopt a healthy lifestyle.
This involves better mental balance, better handling of emotions, and tempers. They become understanding and less aggressive.
They learn the importance of socio-cultural relationships and become good at maintaining relationships with elders and friends.
It results in the development of good ethical values in them to help them in understanding the difference between good and bad.
How to mold and raise a child over the longer term:
Give them space
Yes, kids need space too. You do not have to be around them all the time pampering them with love and care. Let them spend time on their own and figure out their individuality. Let them be comfortable in their own skin.
This does not mean you have to leave them alone when they need advice or a shoulder to cry on. Provide them advice whenever they need and encourage them to do greater things. But let them figure our themselves what they want to do or how they want to be instead of constantly asking them to act as per your instructions.
If they cannot identify their individuality at an early stage, they will always be dependent on you to decide what they want to do in their life.
Be a good listener
Be a good listener to know what is going on with your kid’s life or what is bothering them. Only then you will be able to provide them with the right advice.
Teach them to be good listeners too, which will inculcate the feeling of empathy in them towards others.
Parents are the first and most important source of knowledge for their children. Share your life experiences and knowledge with them. Teach them the realities of life that life is not easy. It is full of struggles, ups, and downs. Do not keep them in a fantasy world.
When they are aware of the harsh realities of life, they will always be prepared to face challenges and failures.
Teach them to take responsibilities
One of the biggest mistakes most parents end up doing is trying to hide their kids’ mistakes in front of others. If your child has done something wrong, hold him accountable, and teach him/her to take responsibility for his/her actions.
Hiding your kids’ mistakes will only encourage them to repeat the same in the future because they know you will be saving them again. This way, they will never learn from their mistakes.
Praise their achievement
Just as pointing out their mistakes, praise them when they do something good or achieve something. It helps in boosting their confidence and motivating them to keep up the good work.
Acknowledge their failures and fears
It is okay for your kids to fail. We grow stronger from our failures. Without failing in their life, they will never learn to get back up.
Also, do not ignore their fears no matter how trivial they sound. Instead of laughing off at their fears, teach them to overcome them.
Teach them to be kind:
Teach them to be kind and empathetic towards other human beings and all other living beings. Let them help and serve others in need.
Teach them to be grateful
Teach them to be grateful for everything they have got. Make them realize how privileged they are to have got a good life. This will make them respect what they have and never take anything for granted.
Teach them to speak the truth
No matter what, always teach your kids to speak the truth. Speaking the truth is a strong indicator of a good personality. Lying will only lead them to troubles.
Is that all?
No matter what you teach your kid to do, if you do not practice what you preach, your kid will never learn it. It is important to understand that kids follow what they see and not what they hear.
Some important and healthy habits to follow for molding your child:
- Do not fight with your spouse. Healthy arguments are okay, but fighting is a big no. Otherwise, they will pick the same habit.
- Eat healthily and follow a healthy lifestyle. What you eat will eventually become the eating habits of your children.
- Treat others respectfully to make your kids learn the importance of showing respect towards others.
- If you make any mistake, accept the same. This will make your kids learn that there is nothing wrong with accepting their mistakes.
- No matter how busy you are, always make time for your kids to make them feel loved.
- Do not lie, as it will only encourage your kids to lie themselves.
Is there any perfect age for molding your child’s character?
No, there is no perfect age for molding a child’s character. Your children start seeing and learning things from their environment the moment they are born. As they grow up, they keep absorbing things according to their age.
But you should be more considerate and careful when they start talking and understanding things. Let us have a better understanding of what needs to be done as a role of parents in molding a child’s personality as per age group:
Based on Age
- At his age, kids are curious about what they see and hear. They do not understand much but can absorb things by what they see and hear around them.
- It is important to provide them a peaceful environment without much noise and sounds.
- Interact with them as much as possible by talking, facial expressions, dolls, and toys of different colors to make them curious.
- As they start talking at this stage, it is important to talk to them for them to learn to be good speakers and listeners.
- Be present 24*7, as during this stage, they need your constant love.
- At this stage, they start understanding themselves and their environment.
- Provide them with a good environment at home.
- Enroll them in a good play school for them to interact with kids of their age.
- Converse with them as much as possible to help them speak fluently.
- Let them engage in sports and other activities that they like to do like drawing, singing, dancing.
- At this age, their curiosity increases, and they ask a lot of questions. Answer them in the right way.
- At this stage, they can learn and understand a substantial amount of things.
- Be careful as to how you behave in front of them, as they will start imitating you.
- As they start going to school and make a lot of new friends, talk to them regularly as to what they learned and how was their day.
- Try to find out if they are being bullied at school because it could severely affect their self-esteem.
- They become good at hiding things, so keep an eye on them and try to figure out if they are behaving differently than usual.
- Let them take part in activities they like. Encourage them to do whatever they love.
Parenting is a never-ending job. Following the above-mentioned techniques could definitely help in molding your child’s character, but it will not happen overnight. You should be constant in your efforts. It needs patience.
Sometimes, no matter how good you are as parents, some bad personal experiences or bad influences or companions could end up messing everything that you taught your kid. That does not mean you will give up on them. This is where you need to deal with things in a mature and patient way to bring them back on the right path.