A child’s height indicates good looks in a stereotypical society; but more importantly, it indicates your child’s overall health and growth. A malnourished child is not only lighter in weight but also usually shorter than a healthy kid. So, how to increase a child’s height naturally?
There are several factors that affect a child’s height. The height of a kid depends on 60-70% on his genetics, that is, his parents’ heights. This is not in your control. However, the rest of the 30-40% depends on various aspects like diet, activities, exercises, etc.
Until puberty, kids usually gain about 2 inches of height per year. This pace increases almost 2 times when puberty hits and stops when the kids have gone through puberty. Nevertheless, this speed is different for every individual.
In fact, girls grow faster before they reach teenage or during their early teens while boys grow faster as they hit puberty, that is, in the middle or last of their teenage.
If you too are looking for ‘how to increase your child’s height naturally’, then read our following simple tips to know about the controllable height-increasing factors for your child.
How to Increase a child’s height naturally
1. Balanced Diet:
It is imperative for a kid to take a balanced diet that includes all nutrients in the correct proportion. A kid’s diet should include fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains like wheat, millets, barley, etc., proteins and dairy products. Green leafy vegetables, citrus fruits, lean proteins, and items rich in minerals like calcium, potassium, and zinc should be included in the daily diet.
Lean meats, fish, and dairy products are a rich source of protein. Fresh fruits and vegetables, on the other hand, are rich sources of potassium, folic acid, vitamins A and C, and dietary fiber. Moreover, larger fluid content of fruits and vegetables add to their nutritional value and reduce the fat value.
Oysters, red meat, nuts (especially squash seeds and peanuts), seafood (like crab and lobster), whole grains, dairy products, fortified breakfast cereals are a rich source of zinc. Dairy products also provide the calcium needed for the growth of the bones of children. Additionally, an hour of morning sunlight serves as a good source of vitamin D that is needed to increase the bone density.
Fast food, junk food, oily and fatty food (those with trans fats and saturated fats), too much sugar or sweetened drinks, and energy drinks should be avoided. They only add up on your calorie intake and thus fat. Such foods do not provide any kind of growth or energy.
Therefore, the best food for children’s growth is actually taking a balanced diet. In fact, a balanced diet is not only an important aspect of how to increase a child’s height naturally but also plays a major role in building the overall health and immune system of the child.
2. Health Supplements:
Besides taking a healthy diet, there are not many supplements to help children grow taller. In case you feel that your child’s height is abnormally lower than normal, it is best to visit a doctor. Only a doctor can provide you health supplements to increase height growth hormone.
Though there are supplements that can increase your HGH (Height Growth Hormone) levels, these should be taken very cautiously. This is because these supplements will play with your natural hormonal system and might even create havoc with your body if taken without any professional guidance.
Moreover, most of the HGH supplements will aid your child to sleep better. This is because HGH is released in your child’s body only during his sleep. Thus, do not forget to discuss the intake timing of the supplements.
In case your child’s vitamin D levels are lower than normal, your doctor may also suggest you give vitamin D to your child that acts as an agent to increase the bone density of your child.
As said above, the growth hormone, that helps your kid grow tall, is released in your child’s body only during his sleep. Thus, it is essential for your kid to have sound sleep for an age-appropriate number of hours.
By age-appropriate number of hours, we mean that a smaller kid needs more sleep than a teenager does.
- Babies up to 3 months of age generally need 14 – 17 hours of sleep a day
- Babies between 3 months and 1 year of age need 12 – 15 hours of sleep per day
- Toddlers aged up to 2 require 11 – 14 hours of sleep
- Kids between 3 – 5 years of age should sleep 10 -13 hours
- 6 – 13 years old children necessarily need 9 – 11 hours of sleep
- Teenagers’ bodies need 8 – 10 hours of sleep generally
Skipping some hours of sleep occasionally wouldn’t affect your child’s growth much. However, sleeping lesser than normal, on a regular basis, might be visible in your child’s height and his overall health. For that reason, kids should have a sound sleep for a good number of hours.
Even simple stretching can prove to be one of the best height increasing exercises. Stretching not only helps in elongating your child’s backbone but also improves his posture.
Some simple stretching exercises that even toddlers can perform are:
- The child should stand straight with his legs about one and a half feet apart from each other. Then he should try to touch the toes of his left foot with his right hand and vice versa, one by one. Remember to keep the legs straight while doing this exercise.
- The second exercise is quite similar. The only difference is that the kid stands with both feet close to each other. He then tries to touch the toes of his left leg with his left hand and the toes of his right leg with his right hand.
- The third exercise requires your kid to sit with both legs open wide apart. The kid should then try to touch his left leg toes with the right hand and the right leg toes with his left hand.
- The fourth one is again similar to the previous one with the only difference being he should try to touch his left leg toes with his left hand and vice versa.
- The last exercise is one of the simplest children’s height increasing activities. Your kid needs to stand with his back straight against a wall. He should then try to reach upwards as much as he can by trying to stand on his toes and then back on his feet.
5. Yoga Poses:
Since age-old times, yoga has been serving as a solution for most of the bodily problems and even diseases. Practicing some posture-targeted yoga asanas have been proven as some of the best activities to stimulate height growth hormones.
You can teach your child yoga yourself at home or at a gym or enroll him in a child yoga session nearby. The yoga asanas that boost a child’s height are also the ones that make him fit and his posture correct. Some of these yoga asanas are –
- Surya Namaskar
- Virabhadrasana II
6. Good Posture:
Practicing good posture helps keep your child’s body in shape and spine straight. Human’s back naturally curves in three places. However, if your child regularly sits in poor posture, these natural curves shift to hold his new posture, thereby, making your child look slumping or slouching. This makes your child look shorter.
Therefore, always encourage your child to sit, stand, and walk in the correct posture. This will stop your kid from slouching and look short. If the posture of your kid is already distorted, talk to your doctor about the exercises or other options, like posture correcting belt or memory foam pillow, to correct his posture.
7. Stay Active and Fit:
To ensure that the calories your kid intakes go more to his height rather than making him fat, ascertain that your child remains physically active every day. A kid needs to exercise and burn the excess energy in his body through one of the following exercises that also assist in height growth.
- Skipping – Skipping with the help of a rope is a good cardio workout. Moreover, it is also an excellent exercise to enhance the speed of making your kid taller because it makes the whole body stretch.
- Swimming – Kids love water and swimming is one of those activities for which kids always have their thumbs up. Swimming helps them stay fit and healthy. Furthermore, it is also an exercise that stretches the whole body and specifically the spine. Thus, aiding in elongating the bones and the muscles in the longer run.
- Jogging – Jogging is one of those activities that stimulate height growth hormone. Moreover, nothing can be more fun for kids except for a family activity. Jogging, when done by the whole family together, is fun, helps keep everyone fit, and the kids grow taller in just no time.
- Hanging – Since decades, doctors have been repeatedly stressing over the need of hanging over bars for children. Not only is this activity super fun for kids, but it also helps elongate their spines. Moreover, hanging over bars makes the muscles of arms stronger thereby equipping children with the strength they need to endure physically the daily life challenges.
- Jumping – An exercise as simple as jumping with both hands up in the air can be the best answer to ‘how to increase a child’s height naturally at home’. You can use a high arch or a doorframe in your home as a benchmark for your kid to jump and touch. Ask your kid to try to touch the mark daily for about 5 minutes. Very soon, you will be happy to see your child touching the benchmark. You can later increase the height of the mark or set another higher benchmark for your kid to reach.