We have seen many accidents encountered by sportspeople on various grounds. Some are very serious while others are moderate. Whatever it is, sports involving physical activities must be performed with extra care. After all, it is a matter of one’s life. Gymnasts are often seen wearing grips while performing gymnastics to resist an unfortunate fall.
Today we will be talking about gymnastics grip and how should gymnastics grips fit.
Do you know when gymnasts need grips?
Artistic gymnasts wear grips while performing on different apparatus. Grips are very helpful during the performance on uneven bars, high bars, still rings, etc. The gymnasts’ grip on the specific apparatus is enhanced. Moreover, good quality grips reduce friction that is the reason behind the rips and blisters of the athletes.
Not all gymnasts use grips. Some substitute grips with gauze or sports tape. Almost all gymnasts apply magnesium carbonate, a kind of powdered chalk to their grips for a tight hold.
How to put on gymnastics grips?
The grips used by gymnasts consist of a horizontal dowel. It is the place where the hand meets the fingers. You can call them dowel grips. Beginners’ grips do not have dowels.
Process of putting on grips:
- If you are a gymnast or have started doing gymnastics and want to wear grips, then pull on your wrist neoprene or wristbands for staying away from grips’ friction.
- Now, align the wristband’s edge with the exact meeting point of the wrist and hand. Check that the wristbands are smooth enough.
- It’s time to lay the grip flat. The palm side and buckle (now open) must be facing up. Read further to know how to put on buckle gymnastics grips.
- Place your hand on the grip’s top. Do it in such a way that two sides of the buckle remain open on both sides of the wrist.
- In the case of beginner’s grips, the finger holes must be even with the fingers’ base. Again, for dowel grips, the finger holes should stay even with the hand’s first knuckle.
- Make the grip tight and fasten it with your other hand. You can ask your coach or fellow gymnast to help you. If you are doing it on your own, follow these steps:
In the case of Velcro grips
- First, insert the strap through the grip’s buckle or ring.
- Then, fold it around the buckle (top part).
- Now, pull it to make it tight.
- Finally, press the strap against your wrist for locking the Velcro and putting it in place.
In the case of leather buckle grips
- First, insert the grip’s strap through the buckle.
- Pull it tight (check the comfort level).
- Now, insert the prong in the hole (closest one).
- Fasten it properly.
- Now, it is time to insert the middle and the ring finger through the grip’s hole. If the grip contains a rubber band connected to the dowel, you have to pull the band back in between your middle and ring finger.
- You have to twist the particular rubber band in half and wrap it around the grip’s front part, below both your fingers and twist it once again.
- Next, bring the rubber band to your hand’s back one more time and wrap it under the grip’s top lip. It helps in securing the dowel and keeping it in place. Also, your fingers won’t slide out of the holes of the grip.
Suggesting you some of the best gymnastics grips for bars:
PUSH Athletic Gymnastics Youth Hand Grips
LEVIERO Gymnastics Buckle Grips
ZHEZHERA Authentic Dowel Gymnastics Grips
Gibson Athletic Single Buckle Just Right Uneven Bar Grips
Care for your grips and hands in the following ways: A must for your safety and durability of the grips
If you are wearing gymnastics grips for the very first time, do not make any attempt to get on any bar without the supervision of your coach.
If you put your grip on the correct hand, the Velcro straps must pull towards your body. You have to pull the specific strap towards the inside, and then wrap it counter-clockwise around your wrist. Do it until the Velcro strap is fastened properly.
In case you don’t need a rubber band, you can buy gymnastics grips without a rubber band.
Suggesting some best gymnastics grips without rubber band:
Ninja Sports Gymnastics Grips Wristbands for Girls Kids Youth
PUSH Athletic Gymnastics Youth Hand Grips
WOD Nation Barbell Gymnastics Grips Perfect for Pull-up Training, Kettlebells, Gymnastic Rings
Gymnastics grips are not only about wearing it and doing your performance holding the bar. You have to know about the right usage of finger holes and how to take the best care of leather grips.
Let’s check it out.
About finger holes:
- If you are going to start using beginner grips for gymnastics, you must begin with using sandpaper. A small piece is sufficient.
- Now, wrap the sandpaper around a pencil. Be careful while working around the finger holes. It will gradually open the hole perfectly without tearing the surroundings of the finger hole.
Do not do these things:
- Do not stretch the holes’ openings by hooking them to something and then pulling them stupidly.
- Again, never ever think of cutting the holes with a sharp object like a knife or scissor or blade. It will cause damage to the leather which can’t be repaired.
- Never ever use water for softening leather grips as water will stretch the leather and deteriorate it.
A must for gymnasts for optimum hygiene and protection of hands:
- Never ever borrow grips from your teammate.
- Always keep a back-up pair of grips ready.
- Sanitize your gymnastics grips after every use.
After the above discussion, it is necessary to know about the appropriate size of gymnastics grips.
The mandatory question that is asked by every gymnast whether he/she is a beginner or a pro:
What is the ideal size of my gymnastics grip?
You must make a decision along with your coach. Only he/she can guide you on the accurate size and grip. The size of the grips usually comes in between 0-3. Every company has different gymnastics grips sizing charts. Usually, it is advised to take measurement from the tip of your middle finger straight to the bottom of your palm. In general, the finger holes remain relatively small in most of the grips. You have to widen the holes for getting a perfect and clean fit. Sandpaper can help in widening the finger holes which is described above.
Note: Never make the finger holes very big as the leather tends to stretch automatically over time and usage.
An overall gymnastics grips sizing chart
(G301, G302, G902, G902PG, and G903 grips: You have to take measurement from the base of your palm to the base of your middle finger.
(This overall size chart may not work perfectly for all gymnasts as everybody’s hands are different and have various dimensions. Also, there are multiple ways to wear a grip that can’t be counted in the chart)
A guide exclusively for you on how to approach to deciding the sizing of your gymnastics grips:
Step 1: You have to decide whether you require Dowel Grips or Palm Grips.
Step 2: Take a measuring tape or a ruler. Take measurement of your hand in inches.
- 2a: In case of Palm Grips for beginners
Take the measurement from the base of your palm to the base of your fingers. You have to wear the palm grips on your fingers’ base. Hence, you have to measure your hand’s palm that is supposed to be covered by the grips.
- 2b: In case of Dowel Gymnastics Grips
Take the measurement from the base of your palm to the tip of your middle finger. You have to wear Dowel grips between the last two knuckles on the fingers.
Recommendation for gymnasts:
If the measurement results right in between the two sizes, choose the smaller size because leather grips will stretch and become thin over time. It will create difficulty for you as you won’t be able to hang on bars or rings properly. Immediately replace over-stretched or worn grips with a new pair.
No matter, which brand you buy or how often you use your gymnastics grips, you have to take care of them. Store your grips in a grip bag. Avoid excessive use of chalk and water on them. Use a grip brush on the leather if it becomes smooth. Take care of your hand too. Apply pumice stone, antiseptic, and moisturizer to heal after an unfortunate rip or your practice.