Gymnastics is all about focusing on and coordination. Mere than a sport, it is an amalgamation of body and mind to let your body develop better consciousness and coordination. Today, this sport exercise has gained a lot of fame because of the endless benefits it comes with.
Not all parents are keen on letting their child pick up Gymnastics thinking how doing a backflip or forward roll is going to help them in life? Well, the answer to their question is No. It is not going to help them score number one in school or at work but, it will help them to do multiple skills at a time. They can lead to a better lifestyle which is way important than earning a six-figure salary.
so , what are the benefits of gymnastics for child!
Is Gymnastics right for your children?
It is a sport that needs immense dedication and coordination. Whether it is a sport or a school/career, children today are competing at a very young age. Their life has better exposure than going to school and doing homework. They are seen participating in various competitions, enrolling in various activities clubs, adventuring by joining different camps, and so on. Regular physical activities do help your child from health problems but gymnastics will help them in the long run by keeping obesity at bay, no diabetes, and heart-related problems.
What are the benefits of gymnastics for children?
No wonder, every mommy wants their child to enroll in a gymnastic class. That’s great. But before you go ahead, let you read in detail all about gymnastics and whether it is good for toddlers?
Gymnastics is great for health and overall well-being
Regularly participating in a gymnastic class, your child can have a range of health benefits such as improved cognitive skills, better coordination, fitness, and prevent heart-related issues in the long run.
Determination and discipline
To achieve something in life, it is important to have determination and discipline and that’s what gymnastics teaches your child.
Kids learning gymnastics are found to be driven by determination. The sport is helping children learn about what is hard working, positive attributes and how to bring determination and discipline is their lives;
Confidence and self-esteem
Gymnastics is one of the sports that helps in boosting self-confidence in kids. There is a sense of confidence when your child masters the skill – the self-confidence skills. As they start towards advanced classes, your children learn to handle intense challenges and tackle them methodically. This boost in their self-confidence aids them in their daily lives where they learn to face their fears and build skill on how to handle them.
Learns to overcome their fears
Performing gymnastics is not easy. It involves a lot of muscle movements that are tough and challenging. It is obvious for a child to develop a fear. The coach at the gymnastic center encourages kids to talk about their fear so that they can help you get through. Their primary agenda is to work on their fears and help them build confidence that they can do it. The coach approach matters a lot when it comes to coping with fears and helping children on how to overcome such situations. This in the long term encourages your children to try new things with the confidence that they can handle any situation that life throws.
Help them set goals
The capacity to have an athletic, flexible kind of body can’t be built overnight. It requires an immense level of dedication, determination, and discipline. The sport teaches your kids to set goals and hard work to put in to achieve those goals. During the process, your child learns to manage the challenges, and most importantly how to stay calm under the stress.
Long term health benefits
Gymnastics offer long term health benefits when your child is enrolled for continuous classes. The health issues remain at bay and the sport helps fine-tune the body and mind. It improves focus, along with letting your child have a fit body even when he is growing up.
It helps develop sportsman spirit
Gymnastics is a solo sport however it does involve group learning activities. Thus, helping your child learn to develop sportsman spirit and how to remain positive even when he/ she is losing. Furthermore, it also teaches to cheer their peers along with understanding what healthy competition is all about. Additionally, honing their social skills through interactions that happen in the class. This way they learn to compete and cheer up when they lose.
It is a fun activity
Kids are naturally drawn towards activities that are fun doing like flipping, jumping, free fall, tumbling, swinging, and so on. Gymnastics is all about that. Channelize their hyper by enrolling them into regular gymnastic classes. It is a great fun activity, where your child will learn many good things than just knowing the sport.
What Are The Disadvantages Of Gymnastics
- There is no proven evidence but it has been believed that girls’ puberty is delayed. Because of the excessive dieting and a lot of strain to get it right, girls experience stunted growth.
- Because gymnastics is all about getting a perfect flexible body which is only possible through a vigorous diet. There is no room for curviness hence it has been seen that children tend to develop eating disorders.
- It is a high-impact sport, which means children are prone to get injuries often while learning. Muscle pains, broken bones are normal.
- At times children are seen developing psychological effects of gymnastics. The sport requires having a vigorous regime of getting everything perfect from posture to the movements that can hurt their self-esteem. Coaches’ aggressive training methods impacting psychologically on your child’s mind.
What Are The Safety Measures That Parents Require Ensuring Their Child Safety?
Below-mentioned is the tips to remember:
- Know that your child is interested in gymnastics. If he/she is not keen to join, let them understand the benefits of gymnastics and why it is important.
- Not all body types are made for this vigorous exercise. If your child is prone to injuries it is a hint that it may not suit them. Discuss this with the coach and they will guide you on how you can start with the sport.
- Your child must learn under a certified coach. Find a reputed gymnastic center for your child. Check the reviews and feedback before enrolling. The reputed gymnastic center will have certified and knowledgeable coaches who know a fine way of tuning with kids.
- Make sure that your child learns the basics thoroughly before advancing to the next level. This can prevent severe injuries. Also, the coaches teach on how to deal with those injuries and recover to get back into the game.
Myths Busted About Kids Joining Gymnastics
- Parents think that gymnastics is for strong and flexible bodies. Well, this is completely baseless. The earlier your child joins the gymnastics class the better his/her body leaves the stiffness.
- Most of the parents think that is not a sport to pursue as it does not have much of a career graph. Well, it all depends on how one takes it. By participating your child in various competitions he/she can make a career out of it.
- Parents think that twisting, swinging, jumping, balancing, and such bodily movements can injure their child severely thus thinking that it is a dangerous sport.
- It is a girl sport, a prevailing myth-making round about gymnastics which is completely untrue. Nowadays, boys too are showing keen interest in joining this amazing coordination building sport. This further helps them in pursuing other sports like baseball, football, etc.
When should my child start gymnastics?
Like most other sports, there is not any specific age to start gymnastics. You can join a gym at any age to practice for becoming a gymnast. There are classes based on various age groups. From as early as 18 months of age.
Is gymnastics bad for the body?
No. It is a myth that people carry around the sport. Regular participation provides innumerable health benefits to all age-group children. In the long run, it prevents chronic illness like blood pressure, diabetes, and heart-related problems
Can gymnastics cause scoliosis?
Gymnastics does not cause scoliosis, however, an intense range of muscular motion can be the reason. The coach is the best person to guide your child, ensuring such things don’t happen.
Can gymnastics cause arthritis?
People who have done gymnastics from a young age and have been careful with their body movements have minimum or zero complaints of developing arthritis. Mostly the arthritis impact is seen in their back muscles, wrists, ankles, and knees. But, with proper diet and good care, this can be prevented.
Gymnastics is suitable for children of all age-groups. However, it is recommended that you start with the younger which can be 5 years. Let your child explore the possibilities and have fun especially if you have a hyper kid. It is one of the best ways to channelize their enthusiasm where along with they learn to get disciplined, determined, and focused which are important elements of a successful life.